1. Write to the largest audience possible. Avoid writing an email that could get you into trouble.
2. If you have to write a lengthy, complicated or technical email, make sure you begin with a brief summary of the contents, similar to executive summary in a report.
3. Always pay attention to grammar, punctuation and spelling. No excuse for errors. They detract from your message.
4. Never send email message when you are angry (a flame). Wait until after you calm down.
5. Send only appropriate messages, only to the people who need the information.